- Chambers Ford Bridge for Sale. Any Takers?
- How to teach Infrastructural History in School
- Otranto Bridge in Iowa Gone!
- Update on the BB Comer Bridge in Alabama: Collaboration underway with CBF and NSRGA
- Mystery Bridge Nr. 38: The Aqueducts of Rome
- The Oldest Bridge Book
- Question for the Forum: Parker or Not?
- Chambers Ford Bridge for Sale. Any Takers? April 17, 2014Belle Plaine, Iowa- Tama County: one of many Iowa counties that has more than two dozen pre-1945 bridges left in the state. This includes the steel truss Black Bridge spanning the Iowa River and the Lincoln Highway Bridge near Toledo, … Continue reading → […]firstname.lastname@example.org
- How to teach Infrastructural History in School April 4, 2014Joint Article with Sister Column: In connection with Files’ series on In School in Germany. More on the series can be found here. History- a subject that goes beyond borders and looks at things that we never knew about, … Continue reading → […]email@example.com
- Otranto Bridge in Iowa Gone! March 13, 2014Whereabouts of Historic Bridge in Mitchell County after Reported Dismantling Unknown. The Otranto Bridge, spanning the Cedar River at St. Angsar, was unique because of its unusual truss design- the Camelback Pennsylvania Petit, one of two remaining in Iowa, according … Continue reading → […]firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chambers Ford Bridge for Sale. Any Takers? April 17, 2014
Tag Archives: restoration
This article starts off with some bad news for people wanting to see how a historic bridge is being restored. The annual Iron and Steel Preservation Conference, which takes place in March at the Lansing Community College in Lansing, Michigan … Continue reading
City Council Approves Public-Private Project for Historic Bridge; Restoration of Another Historic Bridge Under Way; So is Voting for Ammann Awards It’s becoming a rarity that we are getting a series of good news about the future of historic bridges, … Continue reading
Washington County sells bridge to private organization for $1 plus donates funds for restoration. Kalona, Iowa- Efforts to save and restore the 1887 Bunker Mill Bridge took two gigantic steps towards reality yesterday, as Washington County officials voted unanimously to … Continue reading
Bridgefest in Iowa; Bridge Closures due to Concerns Let’s start off with a simple question for this Newsflyer: If you see a bridge that is unstable, who do you go to to address these concerns? Naturally a local government … Continue reading
After a brief absence due to other column items to cover and to allow people to be curious about the park, here are the answers to the Quiz provided in a post a couple weeks ago on the FW Kent … Continue reading
Part 2 of the series on Motor Mill Bridge near Elkader, Iowa is a long story about how the bridge, which was washed away by floods twice in 1991 and 2008, received … Continue reading
There was a round of critics who claimed that truss bridges are obsolete and cannot be used for today’s highway standards, especially because they are fracture citical, meaning if one part fails, … Continue reading
Inspite the number of historic bridges being demolished or wiped away because of natural disasters, there are a few bright spots to consider. The Long Meadow Bridge in Bloomington, MN is one of them. Spanning the Long Meadow Lake arm … Continue reading
Poweshiek County rescinds grant and support for McIntyre Bowstring Arch Bridge. Bridge now for sale to be relocated. Preserving historic bridges for future generations is not an easy task, given the amount of work needed to restore and … Continue reading